When adults read with young children it makes them better prepared to start school.
Studies have found that children whose caregivers read to them for twenty minutes a day find reading enjoyable and are ready to enter school with early literacy skills. It sounds so simple, yet 54.6% of children in Centre County are at risk for poor school performance. (PA Department of Child Development and Early Learning) The Centre County United Way Partner Network wants to give all kids in Centre County the chance to enter school with the skills they need to experience success as they progress through graduation and beyond. To that end, the Partner Network has launched the Raising Readers Program in Centre County.
McQuaide Blasko Attorneys-at-Law are the Platinum Sponsors of this county-wide event.
The 2018 Book Drive is being held from March 19-30, 2018.
If you would like your business/organization to be a collection spot or you would like to donate as a group, please contact Beth Shaha, email@example.com or 814-238-8283!
We are asking for NEW or "LIKE NEW" books for children ages 0-5.
Books can be dropped off and put in the collctions boxes at the following locations.
- Centre County Libraries: Bellefonte, Centre Hall and Philipsburg
- YMCA of Centre County : State College, Bellefonte, Penns Valley, Philipsburg
- Schlow Centre Region Library
- Webster's Bookstore Cafe
- The HUB Bookstore on PSU Campus
- The Office of Fraternaty and Sorority Life
- The Makery
- Kid to Kid
- McQuaide Blasko Law Offices
- Centre County United Way
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin, Jr.
- The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister
- Corduroy by Don Freeman
- The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
- The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown
- Each Peach Pear Plum by Allan Ahlbert
- Shake a Leg by Constance Allen
- The New Adventures of Curious George by Margret and H.A. Rey