Stewards of Children is a prevention training program that teaches adults how to prevent, recognize, and react responsibly to child sexual abuse. The program is designed for organizations that serve youth and for individuals concerned about the safety of children. It is the only nationally distributed, evidence based program proven to increase knowledge, improve attitudes, and change child protective behaviors.
The Centre County United Way, Women’s Resource Center www.ccwrc.org, Youth Service Bureau www.ccysb.com and YMCA www.ymcaofcentrecounty.org have partnered to bring the program to County residents. Our goals is to train 5,800 adults — the “tipping” point that will ensure that every child in the county has contact with an adult who has received training to create and maintain a safe environment for our youth.
To date we have trained 6,701 Centre County residents! We have surpassed our goal!!
Upcoming Workshops Open to the Community
YMCA Bellefonte Branch: Tues., March 14th 6pm-8pm CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER!
YMCAOCC Mo Valley Branch: Mon., April 3rd 6pm-8pm
YMCAOCC Penns Valley Branch: Thursday, May 4th 6pm-8pm
YMCAOCC State College Branch: Thu., May 11th 6pm-8pm
YMCA Bellefonte Branch: Thurs., June 15th 6pm-8pm
YMCAOCC Mo Valley Branch: Monday, July 10th 6pm-8pm
YMCAOCC State College Branch: Thu., July 13th 6pm-8pm
YSB Tuesday, August 8th 5:30-7:30pm
YMCAOCC Penns Valley Branch: Thu., Aug. 10th 6pm-8pm
YMCAOCC State College Branch: Tues., Sept. 12th 6pm-8pm
YMCAOCC Bellefonte Branch: Thursday, Sept. 14th 6pm-8pm
YSB Tuesday, October 10th 5:30-7:30pm
YMCAOCC Mo Valley Branch: Mon., Oct. 16th 6pm-8pm
YMCA Bellefonte Branch: Tues., Nov. 7th 6pm-8pm
YMCAOCC Penns Valley Branch: Thursday, Nov. 9th 6pm-8pm
YMCAOCC State College Branch: Thu., Nov. 16th 6pm-8pm
YSB Thursday, December 7th 5:30-7:30pm
YMCAOCC Mo Valley Branch: Mon., Dec. 11th 6pm-8pm
For more information or to register for a workshop, contact Jamie SanFilippo, Director of Community Outreach at firstname.lastname@example.org or 814-237-7717.
What is Stewards of Children?
Stewards of Children is a free two and a half-hour workshop to emphasize child safety as an adult’s responsibility. Each participant will be inspired to take personal responsibility in preventing this epidemic.
Think of 4 girls you know.
Now guess which one will be sexually abused before she’s 18.
Now think of 6 boys you know.
Which one of them will be sexually abused before he’s 18?
Only 1 of 10 children who are abused will tell someone. No one wants to think about it. That’s what abusers of children count on, of course.
This workshop is available to any group whether they are directly working with children or not. We want Centre County to be the safest environment for our children, today and tomorrow.
- Facts about the problem of child sexual abuse
- The types of situations in which child sexual abuse might occur
- Simple, effective strategies for protecting children from sexual abuse
- The importance of talking about the prevention of sexual abuse with children and other adults
- The signs of sexual abuse so that you might intervene and be able to react responsibly
What Outcomes You Can Expect:
- Increased awareness of the prevalence, consequences and circumstances of child sexual abuse
- New skills to prevent, recognize and react responsibly to child sexual abuse
- Individual commitment to action via a personal prevention plan
- Positive change to organizational policies and procedures
Becoming a Workshop Facilitator
If you are interested in joining our team as a Authorized Facilitator , you must attend a Facilitator Training. You must register on the national website : Darkness to Light Registration Form
The cost of the training is $350 and includes:
- 7.5 hours of instruction, approved for CEU credit by National Association of Social Workers and National Board of Certified Clinicians. (CEU credit for other professions may apply but it is the responsibility of the facilitator to determine requirements and submit any required applications.)
- Instruction on the philosophy and purpose of the Stewards of Children curriculum, mastery of the training curriculum, preparation for and promoting the program, and facilitator policies and procedures.
- All training materials including a Facilitator Manual, a Stewards of Children workbook, DVD, and 7 Steps booklet.
It is highly recommended that prior to attending a Facilitator Training, you first participate in a Stewards of Children workshop or complete the online version of the program also available on the national website.
For more information contact Jamie SanFilippo, Director of Community Outreach at email@example.com or 814-237-7717.